CMA Member physician pricing displayed.
This course is open to practicing physicians and residents.
DATE: May 17, 2022 (6:00 - 9:15 PM ET) or October 27, 2022 (1:00 - 4:15 PM ET)
TYPE: Virtual, Facilitated
DURATION: 3 hours
This three-hour online course is designed to provide an overview of the key themes in effectively communicating in the health care setting with others, including patients and families, colleagues and co-workers, and teams. The course will review communication theories, best practices and frameworks based on Canadian and international sources. We will examine the roles and interactions of health care providers, organizational systems and patients. The presentation and activities in the course will explore risks and challenges to communication and how to manage these effectively. You will be able to apply these ideas and concepts to your own practice and will have an opportunity to create a personal communication development plan. The course is introductory in nature, and the concepts and ideas will be of immediate practical value.
This communication course focuses on developing enriched communication skills. You will also gain a greater understanding of your own communication style and how it affects your interactions and relationships with others and your response to situations.
EXPECT TO LEARN HOW TO:
- identify the goals of communication with patients, with colleagues and in teams;
- apply a framework and best practices for effective communication;
- analyze the multiple facets of communication, including engaging, listening, nonverbal communication and presence;
- recognize the roles of emotions, both their own and those of others, in communication;
- identify and explore their own preferred communication style; and
- develop and initiate their own effective personal communication development plan.
This course can be tailored and delivered to physicians and/or interdisciplinary teams at your organization, meeting or conference. We’d be happy to work with you to find the right course for you and your organization. Please complete this brief questionnaire, and one of our learning specialists will get back to you to discuss options.
Martin Lees MD MSAPhD FCCHL CCPE CPHQ