CMA Member physician pricing displayed.
This course is open to practicing physicians and residents.
Get the knowledge you need to navigate financial and economic decisions.
LIVE WEBINARS: 1 hour per week
TIME COMMITMENT: 3-4 hours of self-led activities per week
TYPE: Virtual, Blended
DURATION: 6 weeks
ABOUT THIS COURSE
Physicians regularly face decisions that involve understanding funding, financial implications and economic trade-offs. However, these topics are rarely covered in medical school―leaving many physicians puzzled about how money works.
This Physician Leadership Institute course demystifies accounting and economics, equipping you to answer a wide variety of questions at the decision-making table such as:
- “What is this financial report telling me?”
- “Just how precarious is the financial condition of my hospital or health authority?”
- “How do I interpret a seemingly glowing economic evaluation of a new drug critically?”
- “How do I economically justify the case to buy new equipment or adopt a novel therapy?”
Real-life examples will test your ability to make decisions based on sound economic and accounting principles. This core course* involves hands-on work with financial spreadsheets: participants should have Excel installed on their laptop.
*Dollars and sense is 1 of 6 core courses ― essential training for physicians interested in or engaged in a leadership position.
EXPECT TO LEARN HOW TO:
- comfortably use economic evaluation and financial concepts when making decisions involving money;
- easily interpret information on the cost of providing care at your facility;
- bring your clinical expertise to discussions involving financial and economic matters; and
- actively engage in funding and spending decisions.
This course can be tailored and delivered in-house* to physicians and/or interdisciplinary teams at your organization, meeting or conference. Contact us at email@example.com to find out more.
*Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, courses will be delivered virtually until further notice.