Learn core concepts and a framework to approach physician wellness
DURATION: 0.5 hours
ABOUT THIS COURSE
Physician health and wellness is a critical issue that affects all members of a care team, patients and the overall effectiveness of the health system. Organizational factors such as challenging workloads, demanding learning and practice standards, rigid medical culture and complex practice environments all put physicians at a higher risk of experiencing personal and professional dissatisfaction, depression, burnout and suicide. To address these challenges, we must first understand the scope of the problem, including the individual and system drivers of burnout.
This self-led online course is designed for students, medical residents and physicians at all career stages. In this interactive course, you’ll review key concepts of physician wellness, explore organizational factors that drive burnout and review evidence-based findings on the interventions shown to protect against burnout and foster well-being.
EXPECT TO LEARN HOW TO:
- explain the impact of physician burnout in Canada using an evidence-based supporting framework;
- discuss the impact of stigma and medical culture on physician wellness;
- describe the factors that affect professional fulfillment;
- discuss how equity, diversity and inclusion, leadership and professional satisfaction can affect burnout; and
- identify specific strategies to reduce the prevalence of burnout in your learning or work environment.