TYPE: Virtual, instructor-led
Physicians are uniquely positioned to influence and advocate for change in areas such as new policy proposals and policy changes, contracts, funding, working conditions, patient safety and/or quality improvement. The Advocacy for Change course is a three-hour live, virtual, facilitated learning session that introduces physicians to effective advocacy. The course will provide participants with the high-level skills they need to advocate for change within the healthcare context. Participants will develop an advocacy action plan as part of this program.
EXPECT TO LEARN HOW TO:
- recognize how advocacy is a part of a physician’s day-to-day practice;
- describe the key elements of effective advocacy – including the different forms that advocacy may take;
- examine how to advocate in a hostile environment or where advocacy is not encouraged
- collaborate with peers to use the advocacy framework;
- create a strategic advocacy approach; and
- prepare an advocacy action plan leveraging an advocacy framework to help lead meaningful change.
Peter Kuling B.Sc. M.Sc. M.D. FCFP CCPE